sábado, 17 de março de 2018

Switching from B&W to Color


When sometimes people ask me why I´m doing now Photograpy only in colors I answer that it is because  I have color memories and I dream in color. But what interests me more is the emotion of the images through the use at same time of shadow and color rendering. I feel color brings out in my photos an extra meaning and better depth / layers / tridimensionality - improving object recognition and associations inside frame. Color should be part of the story, not a distraction from it.
It is definitely a personal preference. Some photographers only shoot in color, others prefer black and white for all their work. What really matters is that a photograph is good one - either in Color or in B&W. Both mediums have is own benefits.
It is known that there are several great photographers that have switched to color: Stephen Shore, Fred Herzog, William Eggleston, Joel Sternfeld, Joel Meyerowitz, Nikos Economopoulos, etc.
The evolution of a photographer is done mainly in an instinctive way. Things happen gradually and intuitively without being programmed. And sometimes they surprises us.
Our way of seeing may change over the years. If it is so - means the photographer in us has not stagnated and evolved. And it can switch from B&W to Color or from Color to B&W.
All quotations from authors defending the supremacy of one over the other are biased and are intended to justify the kind of photography that one does.


Sem comentários: